Note: Affiliate links are included in this post
This is my son’s favorite recipe. The best thing about it, it is easy to make (slow cooker) and I can freeze a batch to pull out during the busy weekends.
This recipe is AMAZING!
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 cups of sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 6 cups of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- slices of French bread
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
- Add the butter, thyme and bay leaf in the slow cooker.
- Then add the onions and sugar
- Cook on high for 8 hours
- Then remove the thyme and bay leaf
- Then add the stock, vinegar, salt and pepper, cook on high for about 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, broil the bread (cut into slices) for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Spoon the soup into ovenproof bowls, top with bread slices and grated cheese.
To Freeze: Cool the soup completely. Then pour into freeze able containers. To use: Leave in the refrigerator until thawed and heat in a saucepan, continue with the bread and cheese instructions.
This recipe, serves 6
Protein: 9 grams