Note: Affiliate links are included in this post
This is a recipe that I have been fooling around with for a while. The butter chicken is a recipe that gets talked about all of the time in the Instant Pot Chat Room, everyone loves butter chicken. So, I decided to give it a whirl. I had a great butter chicken recipe for my slow cooker, but I wanted to tweak it just a bit.
So, this is what I came up with. I served it with a side of rice (a great and easy staple that is naturally Gluten Free, so we have it a lot in our house), my recipe for the perfect rice is here.
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of salt (if you are using salted butter, you can eliminate this)
- 2 teaspoons of pepper (I like more pepper, if you don't try less)
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- In your Instant Pot, turn the setting to saute.
- Then add your butter, onions and garlic.
- Saute until the onion softens. Meanwhile I took off the skin from my chicken (so it would be healthier).
- Once, the onion softens, add the chicken and brown each side for about 4 minutes each, Just remember to keep on moving the onions, garlic, so they don't burn.
- The chicken is done, when it looks brown on each side.
- Then pour the chicken broth, lemon juice and stir it all together.
- Place your lid on the IP and set it to the sealed position. Set the Poultry setting for 8 minutes. When the time is up, let it naturally release.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add the flour to 4 tablespoons of water in a small cup and mix it together, then pour it into the IP, which will help the sauce get thicken.
- I served mine with rice, but pasta is too. I poured the excess sauce over the rice and chicken. Which, gave it extra flavoring. Season it with salt and pepper, to your own taste.